Milestone 2: Week 4 – Finallly Fixed!

Finally got some time to dev last friday and Made Progress(tm) since the week before was spent rebuilding the pc. The Maze Generator works! I’ll need to increase the internal branching, it’s a bit too linear right now but that’s just a variable that needs to be tweaked. Rooms now get harder and harder, the further in you go.  Next up is some minor UI tweaks and then a second enemy and that’s it for Milestone 2.  Just a couple … MORE

Milestone 1: Week 5 – the un-update

Short and to the point, having family in town all week and then a week’s worth of misc stuff to take care of over the weekend means 0hrs to allocate to GameDev this week. That’s life, and I’m not going to beat myself up over it.  I’m just going to churn it out asap and then keep plugging away into the fun of Milestone 2!   Hope to have a start on that this week. In the mean while, reboot … MORE

Dev Update Wk4 – Details details

Getting closer to the end of milestone 1. Lots of little details checked off, because I’m totally avoiding re-working the main character’s torso twist. The biggest work went to the spiders, they got a re-skin to something more shiny, can now do a jump attack which makes them much more of a threat, and make a nice splattery sound when they die. The UI got a couple minor tweaks and so the respawn counter now works,  Still having some problems … MORE

Dev Update – wk3 – sacrifice & surprises

Things are going pretty well.  The uncompleted ‘minimum required features’ list for the January Version is getting very small. Corner pillars at outside corners Fixing wizard shooting and movement (aka the Big thing) Death effects and sounds etc. Spider jump attack New stuff added this week: Restart Button, Exit game button. Bolt Particles and light removal. Bug fixes with spider corpses falling out of the world Jucifying impacts on monsters & spawners Now as to sacrifice….  Well you get what … MORE

BSDDoD! Week 2 – First (barely) playable

Milestone 1, Week 2. Well here we are, week 2.   Not  a bad week, progress wise, but never as good as I’d have liked.. This week I started cracking my head into the interface that is Blender, and walked away with a simple eggsack model to be used as a spider spawner (pictured below).  Maybe next week I can make it move. The beginnings of a simple UI are falling into place,  when a room starts, the room title … MORE

BSDDoD! Week 1

      Milestone 1 is underway. Pretty good progress this week. The map generation is working, still needs a couple features, like designating spawnable locations and  corner pillars and an occasional wall offset being mangled. The World Controller object is successfully sealing a room and starting waves of challenges (Milestone 1 will only have one or maybe 2 challenges to spawn) The actual eggsack spawners are doing their job (no graphics for em yet tho, just white capsules) The … MORE

BSDDoD! Reborn in 2014

The time to do this game has come.  So it’s gonna be done right.  No more Torque2D, Slick, or other homegrown from the ground, unproven frameworks.  Time to do it in something that’s got support, community, a track record and a workflow.  Aka Unity.  And while we’re at it, let’s make it 3D, physics enabled and extensible by the user to add new rooms to the pool of maze chambers. And let’s do it as part of this year’s OneGameAMonth … MORE

Bits N Bobbins

Short post on progress things.  Things have just been lots of grunt work and non pretty things. Will have things to show real soon. Honest. basic player object ..er.. exists and rotates properly.. mostly.  need to knock out some better test sprites and stuff to be able to make things actually ‘work’ together, but the fundamental concept of 8 direction independently moving head, torso, arms, lowerbody seems to work and will look pretty cool. monster entities can be spawned and basically kept … MORE

Building Better Tools

So, basic progress is in swing.  There’s a bunch of stuff I can port over from the GarageGames Torque Game Builder version that I was working on, however, there are a bunch of things that I didn’t need then or just do not have access to in Java or just don’t integrate with Slick very well.  So with that in mind.. I’ve been digging  into Pre-Pre-Production. To that end I’ve stated building a toolbox. Figuratively, of course.  Here’s a few … MORE

Setting sail against the winds of whim and staying the course

Wooosh… that’s the sound of another gale force great idea blowing around. Yup, they’re pretty much everywhere at this time of year. Annoying, persistent, unformed, and generally really exciting! The thing is, they’re always much more exciting and enticing than what you’re doing ‘now’. Especially if what you’re doing now is rewriting something you’ve done before, in a new engine. In the last 3 weeks I must have changed my mental description of what I’m working on half a dozen … MORE

03/03/2009

Well, some development progress. The in-game map now reflects a proper mow branching randomly generated maze based on Prim’s Algorithm, the trickiest bit was adapting it to do without proper arrays Toquescript is a bit funny about that. After that, I created a basic start for a tileset etc etc and got it rendering properly in the engine. Tonight I got the tilesets to properly interpret the door and trigger tiles and render the proper animated tiles for them (after … MORE