So, basic progress is in swing. There’s a bunch of stuff I can port over from the GarageGames Torque Game Builder version that I was working on, however, there are a bunch of things that I didn’t need then or just do not have access to in Java or just don’t integrate with Slick very well. So with that in mind.. I’ve been digging into Pre-Pre-Production.
To that end I’ve stated building a toolbox. Figuratively, of course. Here’s a few of the silly things that are a pain to write but very useful to have.
- AssetLoader – based on the slick tutorial this little thing lets me have a loading bar on a title screen while the game loads every asset it needs.
- OptionsController – manage loading and saving user settings and profiles for resolution, sound, and player name.
- InternetFile / InternetString – for pulling a string (current version) or file (updated assets) This makes keeping the user informed of latest news/ updated versions a snap. Since Minecraft came out with an auto updater, it’s been glaringly obvious that at minimum having a latest version check is a MUST Have feature.
- Movement Library – a pile of functions to take two points, and interpolate between them,given a method speed and time elapsed and whatever else that comes up. I expect this to grow for some time.
- ImageCounter widget – display a number with a series of images. Like hearts in zelda. Supports horizontal and vertical orientation, whole and partial increments etc.
- Basic Image Button – yup it’s a simple little button made out of a bunch of images, it’s self contained and easy to use and change.
- State Based Button – also called a modal button. Essentially displays several options on a button bar and you can select one.
- Text Block – an angelfont based text block widget , hand it a block of text, an AngelFont, and give it a max size. It auto animates the display, pagination etc.
- Text Entry – an angelfont text entry widget. easy and simple..