Tough decision made. The original planned February game isn’t going to happen.
The Bad News
As I rapidly approached the mid-month mark I realized that I had actually made Anti-progress… I had started out with working off of the base Jan game and broken it to the point where it no longer had sound, and was actually unbeatable as that would crash it. And I hadn’t even finished adding a single new feature (other than preparing to get the Spine actors put into place)
Then to add insult to injury I found out about Impire, which comes out tomorrow. It looks an awful lot like what I want my game to be, except with a helluva larger budget, and that was pretty damn demotivating.
So I moped, and pondered and had a couple beers.
The Good News
At this point I started going back through my mental pile of old abandoned games to see if there was something that I can make work and turn into a game in 2 weeks. And by golly I didn’t have to go far. My original blog post, in fact. It’s time to do BombBots over again.. except in a fantasy theme this time, on a tablet, in 2d. Oh and finished, seeing as I never finished the Second Life version (LUA server implementation problems), or the Torque Version (TGB never solidified into what I needed). So the goal, is to turn it into a 2 player on 1 tablet/mobile device game. Who knows.. maybe it’ll work out and be fun.
So the awesome thing is that just being ok with trashing the original idea really got me re-invigorated again. So perhaps the Drakkheim games this year will just be all little experiments and then I’ll see what sticks before committing to some grand master plan and in the meanwhile I’ll have a chance to build up a good re-usable codebase and master all the tools I want to.